The food and beverage industry, like most, are under fierce competition and manufacturers must figure out ways to gain a competitive advantage. Digitalization can provide a competitive advantage and specifically using advanced technologies to get the most out of your production data. There are many possibilities within the industry to analyze production data in real-time and optimize processes in factories and plants. Edge computing technologies can provide the food and beverage industry with great benefits.
- Moving data processing from local networks to the cloud. Local processing requires a significant amount of effort with maintenance, security, and handling. On the other hand, cloud transfers the data to a central data center, is processed, and the results are provided.
- Equipping network edges with intelligence. Edge computing moves computer power to the periphery of the network allowing higher latency.
- Extension of classic automation technology. Edge extends the way data can be utilized and opens opportunities with artificial intelligence, machine learning, etc.
- Faster detection of complex anomalies. Operators have better chances of detecting complex anomalies early and adjust or fix quicker to reduce downtime.
- Predicting imminent failure at an early stage. Edge devices with intelligent edge apps can register changes in equipment and send maintenance recommendations directly to employee’s smart devices.
Read Siemens white paper, Industrial Edge for the Food and Beverage Industry, to learn more about edge computing.
Follow Siemens Ingenuity blog to learn more about Siemens Factory Automation and many more topics: https://ingenuity.siemens.com/?stc=usdi101085.